Volvo V40 - what model is it??

Hi all,

I'm taking ownership of a Volvo V40 next week, but in the UK the different models are different insurance groups - they need to know whether it's the base, SE or CD model. Here's the problem.

  1. The V5 doesn't say the model... having said that, my dad's 850 is definitely a CD, and his doesn't say either.
  2. It was bought in 1999 from Volvo as a Used Car... they sold it as the V40 CD.

Frpm Parkers guide, I've found out that the CD model has CD autochanger and Leather Upholstery - mine has single CD/Tape in the front, and Cloth seats. So - does this mean it's a base model with lots of extras added?

The car is as follows: European import, manufactured 1998 V40 1948cc Auto Estate Cruise Control Air Con (not climate)

4 Electric Windows Electric sunroof Electric mirrors Trip Computer No winter pack (no heated seats / front fog lights) Cloth seats

Any ideas? I'd appreciate any ideas...

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

Check out the VIN against the decoding. Suggest trying Volvo Owners Club, S/V40 forum with your details and query.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

I tried using vindecoder.org a few days ago, but it came back with "invalid check digit". I've since checked the VIN with the car, and it's definitely correct. What else would cause it not to check out? Has anyone else had vindecoder.org come back as invalid? I know the VIN's not been changed - the car was bought by a relative of mine direct from Volvo as a Used Car which Volvo themselves imported (to the UK) from the EU. It has all the documentation, and I even have the V5 registration doc in front of me...

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

The check digit is only valid on North American models. Other markets (including yours) use that digit for the transmission type.

Reply to
Mike F

Mark, what does your VIN read (all 17 digits)?

Cheers, Peter.

: > Cheers, Peter. : >

: :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

A lot of insurance companies actually just take your registration number from you and get the full details automatically from that.

Just get a quote from one of these (most of the big ones) and then ask what their systems have your car on record as.

Reply to
Networkguy

Peter, My VIN is: YV1VW1626WF144180

If you could tell me anything about it i'd appreciate it - I've since tried the VOC forum... they've been very helpful, but so far we've only ruled out the CD model (no leather) but it could be the SE or base model still. I'll try our local Volvo dealer later today, just in case they have access to more info.

Many thanks. Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply - I forgot to mention this. When giving the reg no., it doesn't come up on the system. Might be related to it being a European import, I'm not sure. So unfortunately it rules this out :(

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

In followup to my original post, I have now been to see my local Volvo dealer. They looked it up on their system (Crack system??) and it came up with a match.The VIN and numberplate check out. It comes up as a V40 B4204S (the latter I believe specifies the 2.0L engine, 4 cylinder).

Everything looks fine, except that Volvo have it on the system as having off black leather (Upholstry code: 7970). Think this bit must have been a mistake.

As for the model, it mentions nothing about SE or CD... it does give the following though: "with sunroof" RHD Op1: 000033 Cruise Control Op2: 000043 Air Con Op3: 000049 Infocentre Op4: 000059 Power Windows Front/Rear Op5: 000101 Two Illum Vanity Mirrors Op6: 000105 Reading Lamps Front Op7: 000215 Radio Big Front SC805 Op8: 000325 Alarm/Remot Cont/Deadlock

I know for a fact if it was the SE or CD, these both come standard with Cruise. I think I'll be safe to assume then that it's a base model with all of this as optional extras. The dealer was extremely helpful (Colindale, London, UK) and also provided me with a copy.

Any followup info would be appreciated as always, but thanks everyone for the help - it's a shame Volvo don't make this bit a little easier!

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley