Recommendations on best volvo

I'm in the market for a car, I don't drive around town and can't justify a new vehicle. I want a reliable road car that will last a few decades. I don't care about A/C or any modern conveniences. I'm considering a 122s as they seem very driveable, very repairable and very durable. Anyone care to comment or make another suggestion?

Thank you,

Ray

Ray Varella

I have a 1982 244 Turbo and would recommend it to anyone who is mechanically competent.

The Turbo is a "better" car than the non-Turbo, performance wise.

But if you can't work on it yourself, do not get a Turbo: the cost of maintenance and repair could be discouraging.

For those whose mechanical ability is nil, a non-Turbo 240 should do fine, provided the one you buy is already in very good condition: look around, they're out there.

Unlike earlier series Volvos, there is still a ready source of parts at wrecking yards for 240s.

Reply to
zencraps

I would say look at a 240, they're plentiful and older ones are cheap, lots of parts available. Something as old as a 122 will be a lot harder to find parts for and is a much more primitive car but if you don't mind that they can be neat cars.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Reply to
John Robertson

Well, if you don't care about modern conviences, i.e. heated seats, air conditioning, power driver's seat, then go with an early 1990s 240. However, if you do want those modern things with the structural integrity of the 240, go with a 900 series.

Robert

1993 Volvo 940
Reply to
print.fhs

My '91 240 had heated seats. Don't know when this became available. 240s have always had air conditioning. You're right about the seats, manual glider only.

Most difference between 240 and 940 is look/style. If you want/need turbo, you'll be getting a 940 (there were some 740s, and a few much older 240s).

Either model, if kept in good condition, will be very solid cars for many years, and easy/cheap to maintain with careful selection of an independent qualified Volvo mechanic. Be sure to get a pre-purchase inspection from someone who knows these models. Your local city or state chapter of Volvo Club of America (VCOA) is a good place to get a reliable referral of recommended mechanics.

960 is very different from 940 in the engine and power train. Much more modern, worse gas mileage (6 cyl engine), higher maintenance expense, more luxury. For a couple of years, the 960 became the S90. Like the earlier posters said, stick with 240, 740, 940.
Reply to
Pat Quadlander