'02 Jetta Wagon electrical problems

I have a '02 Jetta Wagon 1.8T w/ sport package and tiptronic transmission. The problem is that sometimes the windows and stereo will remain operational though the ignition switch is in the off position and the key is not even in the ignition switch. They are supposed to be de-energized. I am worried that since this is an intermittent problem it will be hard to troubleshoot, especially if it isn't happening when I take the car in. Has anyone out there had this problem? If so could you tell me what it turned out to be so I can get it fixed? It may seem like a minor problem but I am still paying for the car and I want everything to work the way it's supposed to.

I have already had the car in for one electrical problem where the driver side visor mirror light would not turn off even though the sliding mirror door was shut. Now I have to take it in for the window regulator mechanism recall and an ignition coil recall. I would also be interested to know if any other owners of new or near new Jettas - wagons or sedans - are having electrical problems.

I love this car. It's great to drive and handles way better than my '71 Bus. Don't get me wrong, I love my bus too.

Thanks

Reply to
Tanner Melton

The mechanical part of your ignition switch is the problem. The "S" contact is not being tripped, and as such, the car thinks the key is still in the ignition. When the problem does happen, notice how you don't hear the *clink* from the ignition switch when the key is pulled out. I've replaced a few ignition switches due to this, it is semi-rare, but not unheard of. This should be covered under warrenty, mention to the dealer that you when this does happen, you don't hear the

*click* sound when the key is removed and if you put the key back in and turn then remove it, it does *click* and everything shuts down as normal. No big deal to do.
Reply to
Pencilneck

Agreed...this is probably it. My '91 GTI eventually started doing this and even my 2000 Eurovan does it as well. If you take the key out a certain way, the switch acts as if the key is still in there. If you pay attention enough, it even feels different as you pull the key out, as if something didn't click into place. Usually putting the key back in and pulling it out again will fix it.

Reply to
Matt B.

I don't think you have a problem here! I have a 2001 New Beetle that does the same thing. A quick glance at the owner's manual reveals:

"You can still use the power windows for about 10 minutes after the ignition is switched off even if the ignition key has been removed as long as the driver's door or passenger door are not opened."

and

"The radio can be turned on when the ignition key is removed by simply pressing (the "on" button)... The unit will turn off again automatically after about 1 hour. This procedure can be repeated as often as desired."

I have noticed that the radio will shut off when you remove the key. But you can turn it on again with the key removed.

I like the window delay myself as I recently went to power windows after about 17 years of using manual windows, so sometimes I forget that I have to roll them up before i take the key out... Of course with the VW, I can even roll the windows up using the key in the door lock. Hold the key in position in the lock after the doors lock and the windows roll up too, even the sunroof closes if you have it open. Likewise, when you open the door with the key, hold the key in position and the windows will roll down. Give this a try if you didn't know about it, it should work in your Jetta.

Reply to
Sam Scarma

Indeed, I think you are right, there is no problem after all! Thank you so much for taking the time to enlighten me. I experimented today and found that the windows and radio still work no matter how I pull the key out. I heard the click, and still the windows and radio worked. Then I noticed that if a door was opened and closed these circuits were de-energized. Just exactly as you described from your owners manual. I think this could be a useful feature for those times you forget to close the windows, or want to listen to the stereo and have already pulled the key out. (as long as you haven't opened and closed the door.) I hereby commit to being a good and responsible VW owner and reading my manual again.

I did know about the other feature of controlling the windows from the door with the key. Excellent feature, I have actually used that one.

I believe what we have here is a case of the VW being slightly more technically advanced than it's owner.

Thanks to all who replied. I'm glad it's not the ignition switch.

transmission.

Reply to
Tanner Melton