'97 jetta electrical problems

I have a 97 Jetta GLS. Recently, while trying to use the cigarette lighter for the first time I noticed a piece of paper shoved up in there. My husband stuck his key in there trying to get it out, and something arched and shocked him. Ever since then, the truck release latch wont work, the odometer and clock wont work unless the car it turned on, and last but not least when I put the key in the drivers door to lock the car, the alarm goes off and wont turn off unless I unlock the trunk. I took it to the dealer and they claim that I need 3 new door wiring harnesses at a cost of $900, but they all seem to be working just fine (no bad wires). If anyone has any ideas of what the problem could be, I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks, Kristi

Reply to
kristi83

Sounds like the root cause is a hubby that shouldn't be allowed to work on the car. (been there, done that tho'. sometimes I shouldn't be either ;)

The fuse for the cig lighter should have blown, so that's the first thing to fix. It might be your instrument cluster too. I don't know without checking the schematics.

The door harnesses, the rear ones in particular, are known to fail. They just aren't made to stand up to the flexing. The wires break and cause all sorts of bizarre behaviors, mostly alarm related. The prices are guesses based on my dodgy memory. The rear ones are about $80 each. Plus labor, probably $200-250 each door. Front's would maybe run $300-

350.

The harnesses can often be repaired, but I'd not tell your hubby. Could wind up even more expensive ;)

The wire harness to the trunk lock breaks too, so I bet that's another one to be fixed. Harness was under $50, and I'd guess the total at about $150.

O'course, you could 'fix' it by disabling the alarm module and not worrying about it. The dealer won't do it, but probably any independent VW shop worth their weight would be able to.

Reply to
Mark Randol

Sounds like fuses to me...maybe as punishment you should send your husband to go trudging through a wreckers on a rainy day to find replacement parts if they are needed...

Reply to
wolfsburgnut

Sure enough, it was a fuse problem. Thanks for the input!!!

Kristi

Reply to
kristi83

Did it also clear up all the alarm and window problems? If so, VWs never cease to amaze me with their electrical weirdness!

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol