02 JETTA ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

My hazard lights come on randomly even when the car is turned off. The hazard lights come on randomly and more frequently when driving than when parked. When parked they come on only once every few minutes (not periodically). I tried pulling the fuse for both the turn indicators and hazards (# 2 and # 39) and the problem persists. In fact even if I turn on the hazards I can still detect the problem in the form of a "missfired" hazard light.

I suspect a short somewhere. The hazard inidicator switch was replaced in the recall about 6 months ago. And currently the driver's door microswitch does not work. This door switch prob might be related to the hazard lights, but have lived with the door problem for about 6 months (it is beareable whereas the hazard prob is not!)

Any advise is appreciated.

Reply to
likker

My guess is it's a alarm related issue which could be caused by the door micro switch.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Woodchuck - I have a battery draining problem on my 2001 Jetta TDI. Tried 2 different batteries thinking maybe the battery was just getting weak. I charge the battery at night before retiring, in the morning there's not enough amps to turn it fast enough to start the car. It's drawing 184 milliamps, normal should be about 100 according to Bentley. I removed fuses one at a time and the largest reduction was 3 milliamps.

Any ideas what might be causing the drain? Any suggestions where to look next?

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer