2002 passat headrest

How can I remove the middle rear seat headrest in my 2002 Passat? It sure does block the rear view, and I can't figure out how to remove it!

Reply to
David Streb

You don't say if you have a wagon or sedan; I have a wagon, so maybe it's the same.

I don't have either the manual or the seatback here with me, so this is going to be a little vague ...

Raise the headrest as far as it will go. Look at the plastic guides that the two metal rods pass through into the seatback. One will have a little doohicky that you can press in to release a catch that prevents the headrest from coming all the way out. Press in on that doohicky and while keeping it pressed in, lift the headrest all the way out. On my wagon, it's sometimes easier to do this if the seatback is partially folded.

Oh, and RTFM :-)

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Works the same way on the sedan. Took mine out the day I bought it.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Same here, I put it in on those rare occasions where 3 lucky people have to sit in the back of my Golf... It's been in my trunk unused for a LONG time.

VW wasn't smart with that centre head restra>

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I'll tell you the best rear headrest ever! My '87 Mercedes 300D has headrests that fall out of the way when you push a button on the dash! Best practical joke ever, but you can only play it once per person.

I see the plastic thing - on the left. I'm pushing in as hard as I can, while my wife is lifing up on the headrest as hard as she can, and the stupid thing won't remove! Maybe I need a c-clamp and a small hydraulic jack!

Reply to
David Streb