99.5 Jetta TDI Turbo Shuts off??

I bought a used 99.5 jetta here in balmy Toronto, Canada last month, and i've had a rather interesting problem with it. So far i've been very pleased with its highway performance, driving it smoothly at

130-140 km/h (75-85?). Today, however, i was driving at around that speed for about 20 minutes on the highway with 3 other people in the car, and suddenly i heard the car making this very loud almost farting-like noise. At first i thought it was the plastic stone-deflector thing vibrating from a strong crosswind or something, as it was intermittent (not a constant noise) but about a minute later, i could feel a sudden loss of power to the engine -- i was now flooring the car and barely maintaining 120km/h!

So i get off the highway... and the engine sounds a bit different. I rev up to 2000rpm -- NO turbo whistle, and the engine is extremely weak. I then turn the car off, wait about 10 seconds, restart it, and there goes the turbo again, as if nothing had ever happened.

a little bit later, i went on the highway for a boot up to about 145 and again that kind of plastic farting noise... i take the car out of gear, and the reduction in rpm down to idle seems to have _no_ effect on that sound. I even was trying to floor the car in 4th gear near redline for a while, but did not succeed in getting the turbo to stop working as it had done before, nor can i get that weird sound to happen with anything else other than high speed...

so my question is... do i just have a coincidental problem -- the plastic vibrating and the turbo overheating (?) or is that loud noise coming from the turbo?

can anyone shed some light? thanks

Reply to
atomic

How cold was it outside when this all happened?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
atomic

Have you ever replaced the ECM power relay which has a 109 on it? More likely you have a fuel gelling problem and VW has a new design with better flow. I have heard of users drilling out the check valve but personally I go with the new part.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I think at -10C fuel gelling is VERY unlikely anywhere in southern Ontario. That's a pretty mild winter day around here. Wind makes NO difference. Wind chill is only relevant to humans (and other living creatures).

Toronto would get fuel supplies from the same refineries that supply the rest of southern Ontario. I haven't had a gelling incident since

1979, when it got to around -35C overnight, and I am lazy about fuel treatments.

I'd suggest first checking to see if relay 109 is the original (defective) part.

Reply to
Al Rudderham