96 Golf GTI Wheel Bearing Problem

I've got a 96 MKIII Golf GTI, I've had to get the rear nearside wheel bearing changed far too frequently, the last one only lasted

Reply to
Bunty Hoven

Randolph

You are kidding.

Did you use grease?

Did you follow the recommended torquing sequence ?

Reply to
Tom's VR6

could it be a very bad tire/wheel that is bent and unbalanced?

dave

I was thinking that it could be realted to the stub axel, but there is no unusual tyre wear, so I wouldn't have thought it was bent.

It was greased up nicely and the correct torque settings were used.

Reply to
Bunty Hoven

What did the failed bearing look like?

Reply to
Woodchuck

You did loosen the big nut after the big torquing, right?

Reply to
Tom's VR6

That just might be the problem, it nut should not be torqued (for A2 cars, anyway). The Bentley says to torque it to 10 Nm, and then back off until the washer is easy to push from side to side with a screwdriver.

I replaced the rear wheel bearing on my '87 about a month ago. I followed the procedure in Bentley and everything looked fine. About 100 miles after replacing the bearing I took off the grease cap to inspect and found that the assembly was now a little on the loose side. I tightened up the nut a little, but again making sure I could move the washer from side to side. Reinspected after another few hundred miles, and everything is fine.

Reply to
Randolph