Rear Wheel bearing replacement, 1987 GTi

One of my rear wheel bearings have started making noise, and needs to be replaced. Bentley describes how to pick things apart and also how to remove and reinstall the outer bearing races. No mention of the inner bearing races. Are the inner races integral to the stub axle and not replaceable? Or perhaps they are replaceable, but robust enough that replacement is unusual?

Any comments, tips and tricks will be appreciated!

Reply to
Randolph

I did the rear bearings on my jetta not too long ago. I bought a kit that came with both inner and outer bearings, a grease seal (for the inner), new axel nut, nut lock, cotter pin and grease cap. I pretty much followed the bentley. I see what you mean it doesn't realy explain fully what to do for each the inner and the outer, but I think that might be because the procedure is basicly the same for both. I used a brass drift to pound out both the old races. Once you clean it out a bit you will see 3 grooves on each, that allow you get the drift on the races. I hit the drift a couple times in each groove,and kept moving around, because I was afraid the race would twist or get stuck. It didn't. The hard part for me was getting the new races back in. The 30mm socket I have for the front axel nut, fit perfectly in the outer hole so I used that to apply even pressure to get it back in. On the other side, I very carefully tried, and retried to get it started into the hole (I think I used a block of wood and hammered it, but I remmber it gave me some trouble) Once it was started, I used the drift again and hammered lightly around in circles to get it back in nice and straight.

I guess this would be a lot less trouble with a press, but hey it worked out perfectly for me.

Will

89 Jetta 8v

Reply to
Will

||One of my rear wheel bearings have started making noise, and needs to be ||replaced. Bentley describes how to pick things apart and also how to ||remove and reinstall the outer bearing races. No mention of the inner ||bearing races. Are the inner races integral to the stub axle and not ||replaceable? Or perhaps they are replaceable, but robust enough that ||replacement is unusual? || ||Any comments, tips and tricks will be appreciated!

It all changes out just like a front wheel bearing on a traditional RWD car. Inner races should slide right off the stub axle.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:12:33 GMT, "Will"

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Inner races are exactly the same as the outer races, just larger. Only difference is that the inner has the grease seal behind it, which you may want to consider replacing at the same time as the bearings.

I would personally pack the bearings with Redline CV-2 or other high quality synthetic bearing grease, as the outers seem to be a little undersized and fragile if you drive your car many miles or in a "spirited" fashion. Seems to be almost a maintenance item on many A1/A2/A3 chassis cars, I know that the first two VWs I had both had rear wheel bearing failures. After that I figured it was no coincidence and started repacking them as PM whenever I would flush the brake fluid.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Good idea I wish I thought of that at the time.

Will

Reply to
Will

The other old trick that some don't know about is the easy way to get the seal out. After you the caliper is out of the way, remove the cotter pin, washer etc and slide the outer bearing out, Screw the nut back onto the spindle loosely. Then grab the rotor and pull it off briskly, letting it slide across the spindle nut. The nut will snag on the inner bearing and leave bearing and seal on the spindle, very much intact. Try it. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to
Randolph