busted thermostat?

88 scirocco 16v.

im having cooling issues w/ my car, gets too hot. and finally i found a leak in the radiator which wasnt there before.

im wondering if a busted thermostat that remains closed would cause enough backed up pressure in the radiator to bust it. is this possible?

i recently installed a new thermostat and fan switch, both of which are at the same temp rating. i ran the car until it got warm and removed the resevoior cap. didnt look like the water was cycling as the radiator fan was on.

what can i do to fix the radiator other than buyin a new one?

Reply to
dave

Not sure what the problem is but I doubt it's the thermostat. A stuck closed one would make the hot water stay in the engine and the cool water stay in the radiator, so that shouldn't increase the pressure in the radiator.

Reply to
Matt B.

I believe those radiators are th aliminum cappped end type, whcih means they really cannot be fixed, replacement is about the only option. Those radiator stop leak products are not recommended for radiators like those as they tend to clog them something terrible

Reply to
Biz

I can't see how. The pressure should be no higher than normal operation.

You still know nothing. Until you know what the actual temperature in the radiator is, you don't know if the water should be circulating.

You say you had a leak in the radiator, Did you replace it?

I believe you need to buy a new one. If it is the original I sure would not want to bother trying to fix it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Incorrect, the complete cooling system is sealed by the radiator cap. So the same pressure is throughout the cooling system.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Not incorrect.

What I was getting at is that if there was any difference in pressure between the radiator side and the engine side of things (if the thermostat was stuck closed), there's no likely way that the radiator side would be higher in pressure. If any difference in pressure were to occur, it'd be on the engine side of things because that's where the hotter coolant is.

Reply to
Matt B.

I agree with Woodchuck. Pressure would still build up in the radiator even if the thermostat was stuck closed. :-) Remember that the upper radiator hose will allow the pressure (caused by heat) to transfer to the radiator. If there was a hole in the radiator, cool coolant would be pushed out of it due to the pressure.

So the pressure will basically be high all over! ;-)

dave

Thank you

Reply to
Woodchuck