Grade of gas and engine light

My dealer tells me that if I don't use premium gas in my 1999 Jetta VR6, the engine light can go on. Well on a road trip my husband was putting in medium grade gas, and now the engine light is on. If that the gas caused the engine light to go on, will it go off automatically after using premium gas for a time?

Martha

Reply to
Martha Bowes

There is no way we can know for sure. You may have a DTC due to a cracked vacuum line to the Kombi valve... wouldn't matter what kind of gas you put in. Only best thing to do is find out why the MIL is on and go at it from there... may be something simple, may be something complex.

The problem with gas is, it isn't all the same. A higher up in VW was telling me that gas related MILs are greater in the South East and upper North West due to gas quality issues.

Reply to
Pencilneck