Premium Gas?

I'm at the point of putting down a deposit for a 2005 Cabrio (my first MINI). MINIUSA.com's specification page under fuel efficiency lists "premium unleaded" under the expected mileage.

Does the Cooper or Cooper S *require* premium? Does regular gasoline damage the engine? Is a middle grade acceptable?

If regular is OK for normal use, when is premium needed? Does milage improve with premium?

Reply to
Phill

Performance is far better with premium, and there's a potential for engine damage with regular (in some circumstances). Don't buy a Mini if you aren't willing to use good gas. Look at it as a cost of ownership.

Reply to
Wayne S. Hill

Hi - I've just seen the first Cabrio to arrive here today - looks great!!

I'll have a drive in it soon and let you know how it goes..

The hood looks well and fits into it's home a treat..

as for fuel I will type a comment when I've read it up - other than to say the car would return better fuel comsumption with higher octane as a guide..

Reply to
arielmad

Premium gas is required for all Minis: MC, MCS, or Cabrio.

The engine has a knock sensor so presumably it would detune itself to avoid damage when running on lower-grade gas, but Mini says you should run premium.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen