How hard is it to change oil in a diesel (by yourself)?

I just got a TDI 99 Jetta. I would like to do my own oil changes, do I need to know anything different than on gas powered cars?

TIA

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

No real difference. It uses more oil, I believe. Different oil, get what you owner's manual specifies. Larger filter and it is a filter cartridge that you need to put inside the holder. Nothing that is really difficult however.

I don't know about the 99 Jeta, but the 2002 NB has a belly pan that has to be removed and replaced. Not a real problem either.

I suggest checking out

as they have a lot ofinformation about these things.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Do you own an A3 or A4 style Jetta (old/new bodystyle)? They changed in the middle of MY1999. If an A4:

I've found my 2002 Jetta TDI oil changes to be the easiest of any car I've ever owned. Since the A4 TDI's use a cartridge type oil filter, they can be replaced with NO MESS if you're careful. I also use a "top sider" type oil dipstick pump to drain out the old oil. I can get very nearly the full 4.5 quart capacity out by draining through the dipstick hole & the oil filter housing.

When you change your oil, you should use a full synthetic, CH rated diesel specific motor oil. I've used Mobil Delvac 1 since the car was new. It costs arount $20/ gal, but you only change oil/filter every 10k miles.

Finally, visit TDIclub.com. More/Better info regarding the TDI cars there than anywhere else on the web.

Specific TDI Oil related info can be found here:

tedb

Reply to
tedb

Acoustic cover under the engine needs to be removed to get to the drainplug. You'll need a torx-tip tool to remove it, and be careful replacing it. It's easy to muck it up and end up grinding the $230 piece of plastic to bits.

Reply to
GravyCat

That sounds like a really good reason to not have a quick-change oil place do the work.

I was expecting somebody to mention that 505.01 oil standard. Perhaps that does not apply to your car.

Tom's VR6

hey guys. I just noticed that Motormite Help! just came out with an aftermarket replacement for that for that.

#41098 Engine Splash Shield VW Beetle, Golf, Jetta, Passat, Audi A4, A6 2004-98 All mounting hardware included

No pricing information yet. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

just finding the oil is about the hardest thing about it. lol I just found some Mobil 1 'Truck & SUV' 5W-40 oil with CH-4 rating, at my local Murray's, to put in a 98 Jetta TDI.

later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

For pre-2004 TDI engines in the US, oil should have one of these ratings:

VW 505.00 ACEA B3 or B4 API CF-4 (different from CF), CG-4, CH-4, CI-4

For 2004 TDI engines in the US, oil should have the VW 505.01 rating.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

How much are the cost savings compared to taking it to a mechanic? It costs 60 bucks for me to take it in every 10k miles.

Reply to
Bhavesh Patel

Well lets price things out here in Chicago. For lets say for an oil change for a 1998 Jetta TDI: Using Mobil 1 5W-40 with proper ratings for the TDI engine. Oil (possibly hard to find) maybe 5 quarts at $5.40 per qt. ($27.00) I included tax! :-) Oil filter and gasket........................................................($09.00) You can do it for $36.00

Then there is your labor of you purchasing oil and filter and doing the job. Keep receipts for the oil and filter.

Dealer will charge about $68.00

You can save $28.00 or more if you find the oil on sale. Now if you need to buy beer, clean up the mess you possibly made, safely and legally dispose of the used motor, mess something up..........etc., you might not save that much! lol

dave

It is an A4, thanks for the info.

Mike

Reply to