Leaky Passat

Can anyone shed any light on this bizarre leak. I have a 2001 Passat that has recently decided to convert the rear passenger side foot well into a swimming pool. Every time I sponge the water out the following day it seems to be just as bad. I know I live in Scotland but I didn't think it had rained that much. Is this a common problem or am I on my own???

Reply to
AndyB03

I would check the trunk, and especially the seal around the trunk lid and make sure there's no leaves or other debris blocking the drainage path.

I haven't seen this specifically on an '01 Passat but I've seen it on a number of Jettas. It seems like the trunk seal isn't quite as watertight as it could be, and any blockage in the drain path will let water go right over the seal. And from the trunk it's a fairly easy path for water to get to the rear passenger footwells.

- FM -

Reply to
Fred Mau

Known problem with this car in a couple of areas you may want to check. There is a drain under the battery in the engine compartment that may be clogged with leaves or debris, allowing the battery compartment to fill with water and flood the passenger compartment through pollen filter area. Remove battery and clean drain, then remove rubber grommet that restricts opening.

Another possible cause are clogged sunroof drains. You will see rubber nipples when you open the doors, squeeze them and see if water comes out. Some have successfully cleaned drains by running stiff wire from sunroof through drains, but you run the risk of disconnecting them internally.

You should pull back front carpet on both sides and look for additional flooding, CCM module is on drivers side at lowest point, usually floods and fails when this problem occurs

Can also be other causes--visit

and read the write-ups on flooding problem,, lots of great info.

Reply to
u_s_s

Bingo!

Reply to