can anyone beat this

[...]

I can not. Congrats anyways.

Reply to
AndyL

My 92 Liberty now has 568,000 km on the clock.

Other than normal servicing and maintainence, the only work of any signifigance done has been wheel bearings and gearbox bearings replaced at around 400K km, although recently the catalytic converter has collapsed (burnt out, or whatever happens to them).

I occasionally test it (400m acceleration test) at a particular spot and have seen no loss of power in the 11+ years that have had the car.

It uses just a little oil, has good compression, and when I told the mechanic who does the major services that I was considering buying a new Subaru, he said "You would be dissappointed with a new car as it would'nt go any better than this one", so now I intend to see 600K (in about a year) before looking at a new car.

Reply to
peter

A few people at the follwoing link MAY be able to beat it - still, good show!;

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Nice job....I just traded in my 99 Forrester with 176K miles for a new

2006 Forrester *smile*

Had several wheel bear> peter wrote:

Reply to
Jerseyj

Thanks Carl, followed the link, and yes, it features a '99 Outback with 800,000 km.

peter

Reply to
peter

Hi,

Very good!

My ol' '90 Loyale had 360k miles (approx 576k km) on the clock when it died. Sudden, total loss of compression in one cylinder. Broken rings, hole in piston, valve gone? It's still awaiting a post mortem to see if it's fixable or time to go six feet under.

Considering my car was VERY poorly cared for its first 200k miles or so before it came to live w/ me, I'd think we should be watching for yours on the high mileage site for quite some time to come!

Best of luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

do google on "568,000 km in miles".

or

A.

Reply to
AndyL

that is cool. i love my 01 subie forester but we've had a lot of trouble with it...2 sets of wheel bearings, three o2 sensors and now the catalytic converter is going out. it has 146,000 miles (american) right now.

How many miles is that kilometer reading in USA terms? Just curious i am not good at math.

I am going to be getting something new soon and am afraid to go back to subaru, am thinking of the new toyota rav4. so it is good to hear of someone with such good subaru lifetime.

Reply to
jjohnson04

So my 95 Legacy with "only" 225,000 km on the clock isn't even middle aged yet?

Only major work so far has been 3 of the four wheel bearings.

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Hi,

If it makes you feel any better, I don't see any "trouble" in your post w/ the exception of the admittedly problematic wheel bearings. Google is your friend in that department: my personal feeling, and experience, is that a PROPERLY installed, AND LUBED, wheel bearing isn't such a problem. Even a "less than perfect" installation can be helped with proper lubrication. I can't verify it, but my reading suggests Subaru and I would have differing opinions on what PROPER is WRT to lube!

But on the O2 sensors and cat: most people I talk to suggest O2 sensors are good for 50k-60k miles at the outside (on a variety of vehicles, not just Subies) and if you go to the parts store they're gonna suggest you replace them at 15k to 30k mile intervals. And "sources" tell me, backed up by personal experience, that 150k miles on a cat's pretty good. Again, not just on Subies. So it sounds like you're "right on schedule" w/ these items IMO. No reason to switch brands over "consumable" items! Besides, they're CHEAP compared to a new car... remember, none of these super hi-mileage vehicles got there without SOME parts! How are you gonna know how far yours can go if you give up "early?" :D

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I don't think I can withstand my Subaru for that long. It's been very reliable for the 14 months I've owned it, but it's just not comfortable.

But I'm glad to know they can last so long. It's always a good thing.

Tom Reingold Noo Joizy

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Great achievement. My 98 Outback is at 247K miles and still runs great. Fuel efficiency and power have dropped by about 10% over the past 100K miles, (averaging about 23 MPG) but it still runs smooth and quiet. This Sunday I had to patch a hole in the exhaust mid-pipe. Now it even sounds new. New O2 sensors might cure the mileage problem.

Reply to
BobN

peter a =E9crit :

That's very impressive. I'm sure I couldn't drive that far with my Audis or BMWs, because their maintenance cost raise at an unacceptable level. My previous 1997 BMW 535i cost me over $2000/year for maintenance and repair (excluding gas and tire) in the last year I kept it, between

220,000 and 250,000 km (not miles). Kind Regards.

Giovanni Tarantino

2022 Bevaix (Switzerland)
Reply to
GT