Noise from turbo, is it normal? Golf 1.8

Hi, I have recently bought a Golf (1999)1.8 Turbo and when changing gear under acceleration there is a sucking sound coming from the engine/turbo when I take my foot off the accelerator to change gear. Can anyone tell me if this is normal as I am new to the 1.8 turbo or is it something I need to get checked?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Wild 1

Did someone perhaps retrofit a blowoff valve to this car? That's my first thought upon reading your post... that's not all bad, as it will tend to keep the turbo spooled up.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Mine started to make this exact noise... turned out to be a leaking downpipe (ie the turbo noise is always there but you normally can't hear it)... might want to get it up on a lift and look for exhaust leaks... this sound may be a message that you have a hole somewhere close to the turbo.

Reply to
Vince Waldon