oil consumpstion question

Hello. I'm new to this Newsgroup and wondered if anyone could advise me whether it is unusual for a 2000 2.0 VW Bug to use more than 1 qt. of oil between oil changes? Manual transmission - heavy rush-hour daily commute. Thanks in advance. -Steve. D.-

Reply to
Steve D.

How many miles between oil changes do you go? Then I can give an answer? "Steve D." wrote in message news:rVh5d.324$TY2.302@lakeread04... Hello. I'm new to this Newsgroup and wondered if anyone could advise me whether it is unusual for a 2000 2.0 VW Bug to use more than 1 qt. of oil between oil changes? Manual transmission - heavy rush-hour daily commute. Thanks in advance. -Steve. D.-

Reply to
Woodchuck

approx. 3K between oil changes. -Steve D.-

Reply to
Steve D.

My 2002 2L Golf was eating oil when new. The word from the dealer was that VW considers 1000 miles per quart "acceptable"!!! My consumption abruptly dropped to 5000 miles or so per quart following the 10,000 mile servicing.

Reply to
R J Carpenter

What does the manufacturer recommend for oil change interval? My 2003 list 10,000 miles as the oil change interval for the 2L. Some would suggest you are just poluting if you change that much. Note that many old timer VW owners have gotten 200k to 300k by following the manufacturers oil change interval, not the oil changer industrys recommended change.

I do not know if Google collects from this group but you could do a google search >approx. 3K between oil changes. -Steve D.-

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

I'd say that's unusual for *any* modern car.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Thanks for the help. We'll contact the dealer about the excessive oil consumption. I would assume that if we waited for the 10K interval we would be adding 5 or 6 qts.!!! -Steve D.-

Reply to
Steve D.
1qt in 3000 is way better than most. You don't get VW's attention until it's 1qt in 1500miles. "Steve D." wrote in message news:Ilj5d.34878$aW5.22760@fed1read07... approx. 3K between oil changes. -Steve D.-
Reply to
Woodchuck

Sorry, I probably should have said that the 'red ' low oil warning light comes on which I assume means it's about 2 qts. low???? -Steve D.-

Reply to
Steve D.

comes on which I assume means it's about 2 qts. low???? -Steve D.-

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

son's 2k nb 2l uses less than 1 pint between 6k oil changes. mobil 1 syn, 110k miles.

Reply to
northwind

oops--it a '98, wifes is 2k.

Reply to
northwind

How many miles on it?

I've been hearing rumors that there's some kind of "break in" on them, then the miles-per-quart drops.

Still, seems a bit steep.

My '87 16V Scirocco with 213K miles on it is just now starting to burn a bit of oil the first minute or so after starting and I'm getting just under 2K miles per quart. Interestingly, that's with 10W40. I made a mistake a bought several quarts of 10W30 and when I was using that it dropped to about 750 miles per quart due (I'm pretty sure) to the leak it developed near the distributor. Smoked longer upon warm up too. Went back to 10W40 and the leak stopped, the smoking went back to what I'm used to as "normal" and the mileage went back up to about 2K.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

If you know it uses oil, then you need to check it more frequently. Like every fill up. If you wait until the low oil light comes on, you're just asking for trouble.

Reply to
Biz

My 2003 Jetta has a low pressure switch. It does not have an oil level indicator. Did you pay $40,000 for your car? If not it probalby only has a low pressure switch. When that comes on you may very well be scratching the heck out of your cylinders. Yes your oil consumption will really go up after you scratch your cylinders.

"Biz" wrote:

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Thank you everyone again for your replies. This is my wife's car and I haven't paid much attention to it (obviously) until she told me about the "low oil pressure" light flickering. When that happened, she stopped in the first gas station she could find. I was suspicious that our local gas station had not filled the car with the proper amount of oil (I've had far worse experiences over the years with gas stations but getting rid of old oil has become extremely difficult for doing oil changes myself). I will carefully monitor the oil levels in the future. Thanks again. -Steve D.-

Reply to
Steve D.