99 Passat

I am considering buying a 99 Passat but just wanted to ask the group first if there is any major problems with this car. I was recently the owner of a 91 Passat and had tons of problems with the auto tranny and ending up installing 3 used ones over a course of 3 years but I heard the tranny problem was fixed on later years. TIA

Reply to
Tado

It all depends on how well the former owner took care of the car. If he fixed things when they broke and kept up with the service it should be OK. If he never spent $$$ then you could be in trouble! Also 98 & up Passats use a different trans then the old Passat's. I have replaced very few over the years. So you want to know how good they are? If you have the choice then purchase a extended warranty. I work at the dealer and I purchased a 99 GLX Passat. That should tell you how good they are.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I take it the newer style of the more rounded shape is just as good or better then the original cars (like the 99) or the newer style then?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I leased one for three years. Main problem was stopping power especially when wet. There are no splash guards on the front rotors so braking in the run was "fun" I used to press the brake for no reason just to skim of the spray. The stock 195 tires are too small for this size car, I replaced mine with 205s. Also, if you like a firm suspention then don't get this car - very mushy.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Forgot another thing. The rain in the gutter under the windshield empties on to the battery.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Shouldn't if the water shields are there, but does it really matter? And yes mine has 205-60-15 tires

Reply to
Woodchuck

Tie rod ends and control arms tend to wear badly on earlier Passats.

Reply to
DriversWantedTech

And there was a recall on the tie rods for the early ones which had the problem. So it was FREE at the dealer.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks for the info woodchuck, I purchased this car and am quite happy with it, the triptronic tranny feels great to drive. Is there a way to see if my car got all the necessary recalls done it? Or what recalls there is out on this vehicle. I am in Canada if it makes a difference. thanks again

Reply to
Tado