Hello and Question...

My first post, hello all. My brother moved to Fla and left me his '92 Camry, its in good condition but now has this ugly exhaust noise coming from the engine. My friend looked at it and said it was probably the exhaust manifold and that at best I should get it cleaned and at worst I'd need to replace it. What's my best recourse, bring it to a regular auto mech or to a muffler/exhaust shop?

Reply to
C4MRYn00b

Oh, its milage is about 141k

Reply to
C4MRYn00b

Get a few bids

Reply to
m Ransley

Does your brother know what the problem is? Exhaust manifold is unlikely. Once the shop has it on a lift, should be easy to diagnose. Best replacements are made by Toyota - stainless steel, guaranteed for the life of the car - actually cheaper in the long run if you live in the rust belt, plus they're an exact fit. If you go to a muffler shop, they will use an acetylene torch to cut out the bad portion and weld in a generic replacement. That would be cheaper. A "regular auto mechanic" would probably bolt in an aftermarket replacement. Generally, it is always best to stay with Toyota parts. The primary attraction of aftermarket parts is lower cost.

Reply to
Daniel

I have a friend who works at a Toyota dealership, I guess I should call him up and ask his opinion as well.

Thanks All!

Reply to
C4MRYn00b

well never heard of cleaning an exhaust manifold..Might be the muffler bearings tho... If you take it to a muffler shop, they will try to do their best to convince you its an exhaust problem, take it to a real mechanic.

Reply to
Rob

That's what I'm gonna do, my dad has a friend who runs a mechanic shop, perhaps he'll "consider" me when charging for the service...lol

Good responses, thanks all!

Reply to
C4MRYn00b