"Special" 16v pressure plate- a scam ??

I looked at Sachs' German website, and to my surprise, it seems that there is no special pressure plate for the 16v cars. The very same pressure plate is specified for a bunch of cars, ranging from 1.6 to 2.0 L in displacement (and from 55hp to 139hp powerwise): Scirocco 8v, 16v, Golf 8 v and 16v (both the 129hp and 139hp versions), Jettas, even the Golf III's /Vento's with the 2.0 use the same plate. So does the Rabbit GTI. The pressure plate in question is Sachs part # 3000 251 004

I emailed a well known US mail order company and asked them for the Sachs part # on the so called heavy duty pressure plate for the 2L 16v cars. This is vw part # 027-141-025R Not surprisingly, the Sachs part # was 3000 251 004

Looks like VW puts a bunch of different part numbers (and asks a different price) on the very same part, depending on which car it is going into. Not the first time they've done this. Audi used the same MAF on the RS2 and the S4, same Bosch part #, but the one with RS2's VAG part # was twice as expensive...

Espen

86 Golf GTI
Reply to
gshok

But when put in a "kit" the clutch discs might be different with the 16 valve and the 8 valve engines.

Where did you see this "Special" 16v pressure plate offered?

dave

The friction disc is different on the 8v and 16v's due to the larger input shaft on the 16v tranny. However, the pressure plates are interchangeable. Word was that the 16v plate was stiffer, and the dealer and aftermarket places charged more for it since it was a 16v part. My findings prove that there is no difference between the 8v and

16v pressure plates.

All the tuners like TT, Autotech, parts4vws, etc sell the pressure plate used on the 2.0 16v as a "heavy duty" type that supposedly is good for tuned engines, like a 2.0 block on a mk2 GTI. The tricky part is that this plate is no different from the much cheaper "8v" pressure plate. It has the same Sachs part number, so it is the same plate.

VW put different part #'s on the plates, so they could charge more for the 16v parts (as they usually do).

Espen

86 Golf GTI
Reply to
gshok

Similar story for wheel bearings. Used to be able to bypass the dealer by getting the part no. off the bearing and going straight to the local bearing shop, but VW put a stop to that. Guess whose part is twice the price?

The 8v clutch can't be so awful - I haven't replaced one yet in three A1s (and counting) . . .

H2Only

83½ Scirocco
Reply to
H2Only