02 Z71 suspension noise/vibration

For the past couple of months, I have been hearing a noise in the front suspension (left side?) when going through turns on roads with small to big bumps. It is more evident in left hand turns than right ones. The sound is more of a clunking noise. At the same time, I can feel the vibration through the wheel. I haven't been able to find anything obviously loose, but I'm not familiar with torsion bar set ups.

Anyone else have this problem and know what it is? I hope to have a good idea what is going on before I take it back to the dealer.

Thanks.

Bill

Reply to
BG

I had a similar problem on my 00. I had a clunk in reverse with the wheels turned to the right and travelling over small bumps. Backing out of my driveway was most noticeable. I had a cracked steering gear (whatever that means) and the dealer replaced under warranty. Don't know if the steering gears are weak or mine was abused in a previous life.

I also had a popping/clunking in the steering wheel over mild bumps pretty much all the time. There was a TSB on this one that required the steering shaft to be lubricated or something to that affect. I am sure Doc or Ian can verify the #s on that one. With the new steering gear and that TSB completed, all is well now.

HTH, Derek

Reply to
derek

"BG" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I took my '03 to the dealer for just that problem, and it was the steering shaft. It needed lubed. I wondered afterwards if it was a factory problem, because it seems odd to me it should need something like that at only 16,000 miles. Wish I would've thought to ask!

Reply to
Ms.Goodwrench

This might not be pertinent, but I chased a front end clunk for several months before a mechanic noticed a bad rubber (bushing?) in the torsion bar setup, during a routine oil change.

Replaced rubber, no more clunk.

89 S15
Reply to
High Sierra

My 2002 Z71 had the same problem at 20,000 miles. They greased the steering column. The dealer said some were inadequately lubed at the factory.

Reply to
JP

Thanks everyone for the replies. I now have some some good insight on what to say to the dealer when they act like the customer doesn't know jack. I'll check the bushings again, but I didn't see anything like that before. Sounds like the steering column is the common problem.

Thanks again.

Bill