MK3 Mondeo: Loud clunking noise from rear suspension

2001 MK3 Mondeo, 1.8 LX Petrol, hatchback 65.000 miles

Hi All,

The rear suspension has just developed a loud clunking noise coming from under the rear of the car when going over small bumps in the road.

Been told by some folk that it could possibly be the rear-subframe, or a worn bush on a torsion bar or something.

Is it a common fault with the Mondeo with 65k on the clock, and what would be the cost for having this work done?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Reply to
niet

Common to find the anti roll bar links on the back have gone, not expensive, not difficult.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Rear subframes are also a very common fault. You got to renew the complete subframe, as the bushes aren't available seperately. I've seen cars that have needed a second subframe fitted by that age/mileage.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Yipes!

I had no idea that Mondy's were that bad otherwise I'd have got something else!

I only bought the car two and a half months ago from a Ford main agent.

There is 12 months warranty with it under Ford Protect warranty. Am just wondering whether suspension is included in the usual list of things or whether it isn't. Haven't actually got a copy of the warranty other than a warranty number. Will contact them ASAP to find I've probably been sold a pup.

Thanks for info anyway.

Cheers

Reply to
niet

Also sprach snipped-for-privacy@nomorow.com:-

Didn't "FORD" written on the back give the game away?

Reply to
Guy King

You wait till the clutch goes. It's cheaper to buy a new car (usually) as you have to drop the front subframe to get at the bloody thing.

Take it back and bitch then - might work.....

Deffo take it back and bitch then. Should be covered.

Reply to
Chris Street

I am assured that it is possible (just) to change the clutch by removing the gearbox alone, I haven't done one , just been told on good authority. hence the 200 quid all in quotes that some places do.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

True, done a couple now on 3 yr old or less cars one was realy bad. Thumping and banging at rear and a loose feeling at the rear.

Reply to
Mr Jolly

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "mrcheerful ." saying something like:

When I was thinking of buying a Mundano last year, I asked in the local Ford dealer's workshop what the score was with dropping the subframe, etc. I was told it was perfectly possible to simply hoik the engine out with a bit of fiddling; not the easiest engine to remove, but not the worst, thereby saving a bit of hassle with subframe alignment.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's not possible. If you take the engine out of the top of the car then you can split the box off. (but that's a lot of work too) Anyone quoting less than £500 to do it will balls it up as you do have to partially dismantle the subframe and getting it aligned again is a right pain in the arse.

Reply to
Chris Street