I have an '03 TrailBlazer 4X4. I just bought it Wednesday Jan 25.
Every time I get out of the darn thing it shocks the beejezus out of me
when I reach for the door. It's not just a little shock either. I held
my key up to the door today and got a 2 inch arc of electricity from the
key to the door. I have had numerous cars and trucks over the years and
never have had an experience like this. Is this an electrical problem
with the vehicle? I did notice that the problem goes away temporarily
when it is raining.
It's static electricity. Hold the door handle or something else that's
grounded and not painted, when you slide out of the car. You may feel a
slight tickle but it's a lot better than the shock.
My Mother had a car that did this. She went to Sears Auto service and they
told her the shock absorbers were bad. Cost her about $150 for new shocks
that did nothing to help the problem:)
I'll bet you are wearing the same overcoat or jacket every time this
happens. I have one jacket that gives me a static shock each time I get out
of the car.
You should have got the TrailBlazer with leather seats : )
I see these ground straps on vehicles. Don't know how effective they are
but might be worth a look. I'd check some of the local parts houses for a
Lots of vehicles do this. It depends on various factors such as type of
cloth and conductivity of tires. I find it best to take a small bottle of
water and mix in 10% fabric softener you would use for washing clothes and
lightly spray the seats every so often. My wife likes to spray febreeze on
the seats anyway so I just mix a little fabric softener in with it.
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.