Body lift

I want to give my Range Rover a 2" body lift what else is required to do this other than the 10 spacers.

It's Auto so the shifter will move I will have to extend the high low lever. Front brake pipe brackets will need to move down Rear brake pipes are allready modified.

Will I have to extend the steering column or will it handle a 2" lift?

Regards in advance

Brian Tonks

Reply to
Brian Tonks

On or around Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:52:50 GMT, "Brian Tonks" enlightened us thusly:

why not just lift it on the suspension? much easier. spacers in the springs or taller springs, longer dampers or reduced-height mountings, you've done some of the brake pipes. about the only other thing you might need to consider is corrective front radius arms or swivel housings, either of which are to be had, to get the steering geometry right again.

however... apart from the shifter cable may be attached to a bracket, it'll move OK with the body. The high-low lever can be extended with a suitable bit of thick-wall tube, thread internally (I think M10x1.5) both ends and fit a short bit of threaded rod to the top end (with a locknut) to take the gearknob. The bit of tube wants to be about 3" overall.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As far as other mods go, it's a 4 door bobtail with 21" removed from the rear. it's had a four inch lift on springs it has an extra one inch packer at the rear. It has cranked rear trailing arms, 4inch lowered rear shock mounts, +2 shocks, it's running 265/75 -16 tyres, Iv'e just put 30mm wheel spacers on and now I can get the full 16" of articulation at the rear without catching a bean. BUT!!

I want bigger tyres.........

Regards Brian Tonks

Reply to
Brian Tonks

On or around Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:50:36 GMT, "Brian Tonks" enlightened us thusly:

ah well, you never said all that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hey Austin, he also never said that the c of g is now so high that it needs the bigger tyres to go over roundabouts as it tips over if he tries to go round them! Teeheehee. Sorry Brian, just having a laugh. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:20:58 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

sounds a mean machine. personally, I'd look at fitting dual wheels, to get the track wide enough :-)

'ere, that's a point, anyone tried it? The LR wheel bearings look big enough to manage, to me.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Oh, God, what have I started? I've just kick-started Austin's "Tangiential thinking" part of his brain! :-)) Sorry, group!

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

The results should be well interesting. I can feel the imminent arrival of "Roman Road Rangies" in the marketplace. :-)

Reply to
EMB

On or around Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:06:52 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

Hehe. Actually, I reckon the next one on the market, if ever, is the transit/LR hybrid. I still reckon that's got promise.

Although the dual-wheel conversion would be a lot easier to do... they do it with tractors, after all.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:03:22 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

better yet, dual wheels which are a bit smaller, so that in normal conditions on hard surfaces they don't touch the ground, but come into play when needed. Would suffice to have something like 235/85 for the main wheels and 235/70 for the extra ones, I should think. hmmm, lessee...

235/85 gives you a nominal radius of 15.86", 235/70 gives 14.47". Aye, that'll work, provided the 235/85 is reasonably well inflated, you get about 1.4" of clearance.

That will help save the wheel bearings, too, as most of the time it'll only get the normal loading.

so... I'll get designing a suitable clamp system... actually, a sod-off spacer set and some rather specialized wheelnuts would do, I expect.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If you want to check out a few pics see link below

Brian Tonks

Reply to
Brian Tonks

Couldnt you have found somewhere flat to park it? :)

Can you not chop the arches a bit to make bigger tyres fit more easily?

Reply to
Tom Woods