1992 silverado brake light on dashboard turned on??

The 2 lights together(1 showing an exclamation mark and the other showing brake) turned on and wont turn off?? If I turn truck off and restart and drive it takes it a few minutes before it pops back on. Ive checked emergency brake and its not the switch sticking and the brake light switch behind the pedal is not sticking and fluid is full. Any ideas?? Thanks:)Nick

Reply to
:

I would turn the key to ON and watch for the Brake light to flash. If it does, see if it flashes like a trouble code. There are on-line guides to ABS trouble codes.

If it does not flash, check a service manual for the brake sensors and ABS module test.

It could be wire damage to the sensor for the park brake pedal sensor or ABS sensors. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Thanks! Do you know where the abs module is located?? Thanks again:)

Reply to
:

Actually drove it around today and kept it 35mph and under for an hour and light does not go on. The second it hits 38 mph the light turns on. If I turn off truck and drive it to 38 mph it comes on again...??

Reply to
:

Do you have 4 wheel abs, or just the rear wheel antilock system? If you have the rear wheel antilock system, there will be a thin black box right beside the master cylinder. Unplug both connectors with the key off and leave them off for at least a minute. Then plug them back in and see what happens. There were some "false" codes that would set on those types of systems. If the light returns right away, then you would need to either have it diagnosed properly or not worry about it. Rear wheel antilock was a pretty lousy system anyway in those years.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Hello Ian:) Thanks for the help. I tried it unplugging both of the plugs and plugged them back in and they came on again when it hit 38 mph. If I leave one of the plugs unplugged everything works the same but the brake light doesnt come on? What is that box? Do you think it will damage anything driving around unplugged?? Maybe I will try to replace that box.... Thanks:)Nel

Reply to
:

That box is the module for the rear anti-lock brake system. I wouldn't even bother spending the time and/or money to fix the system. Usually, the brake system works just fine without it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Can I unplug the one plug that keeps the annoying red light on?? Thanks again Ian:)

Reply to
:

Did you change tire sizes on rear or front, something that might change the reference in the ABS system?

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Yes, feel free to do that.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Hello:) Same size tires as it came with from the factory. Thanks for the thought!! :)

Reply to
:

Thats what Im going to do! Thanks:)

Reply to