1994 350/W air belt tensioner

How do I adjust the belt tension with the round tension housing? It has a bolt in center but am not sure how to utilize that. I replaced a waterpump and the belt seems too tight.

Reply to
DrillBit

I can't tell you how to change the tension, but I an not sure it can be too tight. I had a '91 van with a 350 and the factory tension was such that when the alternator seized the belt choked down the engine and killed it. Tension on the belt kept me from restarting the engine.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Recer

as far as I know there is no adjustment for the tension.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

as far as i know, the tensioner is spring loaded and is not adjustable. old john

Hello, DrillBit! You wrote on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:54:44 -0400:

D> How do I adjust the belt tension with the round tension housing? It has D> a bolt in center but am not sure how to utilize that. I replaced a D> waterpump and the belt seems too tight.

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

No adjustment possible.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thank you all for responding.

Reply to
DrillBit

hmm,, in chiltons it says to loosen the tension on the belt is to adjust the tightness via the accessories. whether it is adjusting the alternator or ac compressor.

at least thats how i take it because the pulley marks on my blazer are showing that the belt tension is too tight. i was just thinkin about adjusting the tension on mine

Reply to
vwtopdown

Not on the 94 and up. No way to adjust anything. The accessories are all direct bolted to the mounts. No adjustment slots.

Reply to
Steve W.

Interesting, because my 94 old body style),like i said , according to the chilton. the arrow is out of mark on my tensioner indicating it is too tight. i hadn't got into yet to see about adjusting. my fan clutch i believe is on its way out (was hitting lower shroud a slight bit .quick fix was cut a little piece away) but now it i'm hearing a sound that may be the bearings in it going. So I was thinking maybe with the belt too tight it is making the bearings in the clutch fan go. But I really haven't had a chance to look real closely.

thanks

Reply to
vwtopdown

I have a 94 myself. If ONLY the fan is dropping you REALLY want to check the water pump and the clutch. NOW. Unless you want to buy a new radiator as well. If the entire engine is dropping then you want to check the mounts. The tensioner cannot get tighter as it ages. It only gets looser.

Reply to
Steve W.

hmmm. thanks for the info. i replaced the belt a year or so ago when i put in a new ac compressor. i did think about the mounts too a while back dropping allwing the fan to shift. but i havent really looked at those. i'm hearing a noise which i'm thinkin may be the fan clutch(and was thinkin if the belt was too tight it would streAnd i definately would consider it odd if the belty got tighter over time. i know it can't though.

im driving my vw convertible in the meantime.

thanks

Reply to
vwtopdown