1997 surburban drums

I have 2 1/2" wide brake shoes, would the drum for this be a 2 1/2 or

3 1/2 "?
Reply to
Pete

If the shoes are actually 2.5 inches wide, the drum will be about 2.75 wide. (drums are always wider than shoes by about 10 to 15% or so.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I installed new shoes and drums. There is a 3/4" gap between the back of the drum and the backing plate. When you look into the gap, about

3/4" of the shoe is outside of the drum. Do I have the wrong drums?
Reply to
Pete

Or you have the wrong shoes. Is the drum up against the axle? If it is then you probably have the wrong drums. If there's a gap at the axle flange, the shoes are probably to wide.

Also lay an old drum next to a new drum, they should be the same height. Same thing for the shoes, they should be the same width.

Brian

Reply to
diablo

The shoes are the same as the old ones. I took the old drums to have them machined, but they were to thin, that is why I bought new ones. I had the machine shop dispose of the old ones before I could measure them. The drum is up against the axle.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Measure the width of your shoes, the machined drum surface should be just a little wider than the shoes. Maybe 3/16" or so wider. If that checks out OK, the offset of the drum could still be different, meaning they're for another truck.

I'd just call the store where you got them and give them the diameter of the shoes and the width, and let them double check the part number of the drums they sold you.

Brian

Reply to
diablo

Yes, it clearly sounds like he has wrong drums. Have then pull afew different ones from shelve and find the right offset.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Look the drums up on Rock Auto, compare to what you have, do the numbers match?

Reply to
aarcuda69062