2002 Silverado transmission problems

This morning my service engine light came on. Went to the Chevy dealer and found out two troubling things:

  1. I'm out of warranty despite only 27,000 miles.
  2. The 4 error codes indicate transmission problems. 740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction 758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical 785 Shift/Timing Solenoid Malfunction 1860 TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical

Service tech said it would be a week before he can have me in.

Couple of questions for this group:

Is this something a backyard mechanic can fix? Is there something simple I can check/test?

Will I cause damage if I continue to drive my truck?

If you have had a similar problem (error codes) what was the outcome...and the cost?

The Spud, in Idaho

Reply to
Spud

Man... for 4 different codes all relating to the transmission; I think I would look at the electrical connection to the transmission before I would take it in for service. Look for damage to the wiring or corrosion at the plug terminals. I have no experience working on these transmissions, but it seems unlikely that all those things could go wrong at the same time? David

Reply to
David Courtney

Spud, I looked in the wiring diagrams, and all 4 of the codes are for circuits fed by the "IGN 0" Fuse. I wold check there.

KenG

Spud wrote:

Reply to
KENG