Jerry.PeruMotors

99.99% he left the gas cap loose. It is an evap control code. Make sure the cap is tight and see if it goes out in about 50 starts.
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

The definition for P1451 is (EVAP) control system vent control valve circuit malfunction. This might be something as simple as a bad gas cap or leaking hose in that system. Just for your information, in the US the emissions system on cars are covered under warranty for I believe 70 or 80,000mi. except for the CAT. which is considered a normal wear and tear item. I could be wrong about this but worth checking out.

The drivabilty issue could be as simple as a dirty MAF sensor. Sometimes they can be cleaned and work well for a long time and sometimes not!

maf

Reply to
ToolNut

P1451 indicates an electrical concern with the EVAP vent control valve circuit... It is important to avoid confusing this with any "leak detected" codes to avoid unnecessary diagnosis time. Possible causes are limited to the elctrical circuits that control the valve (wiring, solenoid, power, ground, or even the PCM).

FWIW, OBD2 codes are common across all makes/models.... that is to say that these generic codes all mean the same no matter what we are working on.

I am not in the US but I believe that the 80,000 mile EPA warranty period for emissions critical components also comes with a 5 year codicil... worth checking out all the same.

The definition for P1451 is (EVAP) control system vent control valve circuit malfunction. This might be something as simple as a bad gas cap or leaking hose in that system. Just for your information, in the US the emissions system on cars are covered under warranty for I believe 70 or 80,000mi. except for the CAT. which is considered a normal wear and tear item. I could be wrong about this but worth checking out.

The drivabilty issue could be as simple as a dirty MAF sensor. Sometimes they can be cleaned and work well for a long time and sometimes not!

maf

Reply to
Jim Warman

Let me start by saying...Thanks both Jim and toolnut(rick) for your responses. After posting, I came back to this site an hour or two later, saw no responses and went back to the vehicle and re-scanned. It's a p1451 but there is also some freeze frame data-for this particular vehicle(ford-as stated, not my specialty-have a tech 2 as I do mostly GM). Looked at the freeze frame data searching for any info and found something that I thought interesting. This Auto x- ray(decent back-up tool for me) shows limited info but....186 degrees, closed loop, 2100 rpms at this point and.....18 miles per hour! What do you think about this??Tranny slip? Speed sensor report issue? This tool, I believe, will not post each wheel speed to narrow down a possible sensor issue. Also, putting the cart ahead of the horse, if a slight tranny slip, per a well trusted tranny expert I know, had a

96ish crown vic at one time with a tranny shudder, added GM rear diff. additive and it corrected this issue immediately(and for years-car still on the road going fine)...I will drive this vehicle today-check tranny fluid-level and report back any findings. Sorry for the long post but again...thanks for any info!
Reply to
Jerry.PeruMotors

On Mar 1, 7:37 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: I came back to this site an hour or two

Probably not related to your problem, but take the VIN of your car to a dealer and check to see if there was a fuel pump/gas filler tube recall on your particular vehicle. There was one on some Cougars of that era, just not sure that it affected your car. If your car is affected, it could save you about $400 and a two-man PITA job and if you are real lucky, the cause of your code. (But I doubt it)

Reply to
Kruse

The thing to do now would be to perform the KOEO On Demand self test to see if the fault is currently there. If the code is in memory only, it may be a sign of a loose connection somewhere in the circuit. Freeze frame data is basically what the conditions were when the code was set in memory. 2100 rpms and 18 mph? I'd guess that the car was accelerating from a stop when the code was set... I certainly wouldn't try to infer any trans concerns from an EVAP code....

For the diveability concern... I'd drive the car and attempt to see if this was a misfire or some other running problem. If your scan tool can access Mode 6 data, you should find a group of misfire counters that may help with that concern. I would also check the basics.... fuel pressure (while driving - not sitting in the bay), ignition system, perhaps look for signs of MAF contamination (though this will usually give idle/low speed driving concerns more than anything).

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim, Thanks for the great class on troubleshooting, I learned something today. I did take the palm of my hand and hit my forehead while saying DUH!! when I read your post. Your right about it being more electrical in nature.

Rick

Reply to
ToolNut

Glad to help.... I've spent nearly 40 years smacking myself on the forehead trying to keep up with technology. It's been a hell of a ride, so far...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Update...Called my local Ford/Lincoln Mercury Dealer and they said there were no recalls/campaigns in regards to the EVAP system and the code p1451. I drove it and could not duplicate any issues. I cleared the code and told the customer to drive it and see if it re-occurs and then we'd go from there. Also found out that a new gas cap(although I doubt this to be it) has not been done-I thought they said they had done it. I'll keep you all posted but want to close by saying thanks to all who read and responded-again...thanks for taking time out of your day to respond, I truly appreciate it! JP

Reply to
Jerry.PeruMotors

Thanks for the update Jerry. Maybe we'll all learn something that we didn't know before.

Rick

Reply to
ToolNut