96 Explorer Automatic Transmission

While gassing it to get on the freeway last week my transmission seemed to slip while shifting from first to second. Shortly after this the O/D light started flashing and the Check Engine light came on. The vehicle does not want to shift properly now. (I was able to 'force' it to shift by throttling down/up. It is parked now).

Ford seems to think they can fix it for $2050.00 to $3200.00. They think one of the bands is broken, "based on the computer code returned".

There was no clunking or other odd noises, and I was able to force it to shift with a speed adjustment. I have an el cheapo code reader which reports 0756 (Shift Solenoid b stuck or performance).

I'm looking to get out of this fairly cheaply since I'm ready to trade the car in. I plan on changing (not flushing) the fluid, mainly to get a look at the bottom of the pan.

I've seen similar posts but nothing with the 0755 or 0756 shift solenoid OBD codes. Anyone have any similar experience with the solenoids? I have no shop manual yet; would it make more sense to just buy a junkyard transmission or can I replace the solenoids on the current trans after removing it... (in other words, how deeply embeded in the trans are they?)

Thanks for any input.

Tim

96 Explorer, 100K. V6 XLT 2WD Automatic.
Reply to
Tim

Well I have in my hands the 96 OBD Ford Book. P0755 and 056 both point to Shift Solenoid #2 as Circuit Malfunction and Solenoid Performance. The pinpoint tests is TC1 for electrical malfunction. The immediate possible causes are: Internal Transmission Damaged Solenoid Circuit open or shorted to VPWR (batt) or Grd VPWR open or shorted PCM damaged

First test is to Disconnect tran harness, inspect for bad pins or wires then connect DVOM between VPWR pin and suspect pin at tran connector and do a KOEO test . If DVOM reading cycles diagnose for a tran problem. If not there is 4 more pages of diagnostics. If you want I can email you individually JPEGs of these 4 pages.

Yes, the solenoids can be R&Rd from below (if your tran is a 4R55E as I think it is). About an easy 2 page procedure.

I have never done either of these but if it were mine I would first get me a CD copy of the Ford Service Manual (online $10-20), make sure of exactly what tranny I had, do the initial KOEO test and replace SS2 if appropriate. Probably a 1/2 days work.

Good Luck (you may need it) - Jerry, Jerrys Repair Service, Kingston, WA

Reply to
Gerald Riggs