2002 Trailblazer fuel problem

2002 Trailblazer purchased new, 73,000 trouble free miles. Suddenly unable to put fuel into tank. It spits fuel back like it was over-full. Now has little over half full tank.

My dealer says the check valve basket at the base of the filler tube has collapsed, forcing the valve ball into the closed position. $190.00 for parts, labor.

I know the valve but didn't know this vehicle had it. Does anyone know what could cause this basket to collapse? Possibly my use of 10% ethanol? My owners manual advises against its use and I only use it on rare times when

87 octane regular is not available (probably 500 total miles in three years).

Thank you, Old Uncle Steve

Reply to
OUS

Shep