1994 F150 fuel gauge problem

My fuel gauge does not work on the fron tank only. Pumps work fine both tanks, rear tank gauge works fine. Front gauge was intermittent for a few weeks, then quit entirely. Is this likely to be a loos wire, or is there another component that is suspect?

Rex B Keller TX Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

thats a common problem for ford tucks i have a 88 and the back tank gauge dont work at all and many of my friends with the same trucks have same problems im sure its a relay swtich

Reply to
Son Goku

Reply to
Joe

||if this fuel pump has a brass float it is likely the problem.

How would that affect it? It still picks up fuel fine, all the way to empty. Are you saying it has filled with fuel and stays at the bottom?

If that is true, why would it be intermittent? For example, all day yesterday it read empty, but I ran off it. This morning it said 1/4 tank for a while, which is about right. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

You need a new sending unit. Yes, they are available seperately.

Steve Barker

||your message says it quit entirely.No?

When I wrote that, it had read dead empty for several days so I figured it was down for the count. Yesterday it registered 1/4 tank for a while, this morning back to zero.

I guess I'll get a chance to crawl under it this weekend and wiggle some wires.

||> How would that affect it? It still picks up fuel fine, all the way to ||> empty. ||> Are you saying it has filled with fuel and stays at the bottom? ||>

||> If that is true, why would it be intermittent? For example, all day ||> yesterday it ||> read empty, but I ran off it. This morning it said 1/4 tank for a while, ||> which ||> is about right. ||> Texas Parts Guy || ||

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

what, may i stupidly ask, is a sending unit???

i am watching this group of conversations to see if it is a common problem on all dual tank fords.

joel in fla

Reply to
joel

A rheostat that tells you the level of fuel in the tank by controlling ground. A common fail part.

Reply to
Steve

Generically a sending unit is some device that measures a physical property (such as fuel level, oil pressure, coolant temperature, etc.) and reports it via an electrical signal.

That electrical signal is used to control a display (usually a gauge, or idiot light) and may be used by the computer to make certain operational decisions or record trouble codes.

Out of three Fords I have had two with useless fuel gauges. My 1991 Escort (owned from '97-'02) became stuck on full about 2 years before I sold it. My 1990 BroncoII has been stuck on empty since before I bought it (last fall). I use the trip odometer to determine when its time to fill up. My 1993 F-150 (dual-tank) has been fine (I bought it shortly before selling the escort) except that both tanks read empty about 60-80 miles before the tank really is empty. That isn't a big problem, though. BTW, the Escort had ~102K miles when I sold it, the BII has 172K and the F-150 has 76K.

Keeping the tanks separate seems to have been a bit of an issue. My dad used to have an '83 Clubwagon (dual-tank). Near the end of its life the rear tank leaked and the front tank would leak into the rear tank (the driveway is a decent hill). I don't know if the guage had any trouble or not. I recently read a service bulletin about my truck regarding the check valve, a component that ensures extra fuel returns to the correct tank. (fuel injected systems have a continuous pressurized flow of fuel, so any fuel not used by the engine is directed from the fuel rail back into the tank)

HTH,

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

thank you both for the explainations.....

Stephen W. Hansen ASE Certified Auto Technician

and

Derrick Hudson

Reply to
joel