2004 Silverado A/C self diagnosis and fix

One day about a month or so ago I started my 2004 Silverado and the A/C didn't work. I could only get hot air out of it. I had a 120 mile drive ahead of me and it was late Friday. I turned the A/C on and off several times and that did nothing. I pulled to the side of the road and killed the engine and restarted several times with no effect. Fortunately, it was not too hot that day and I made the trip with the windows down. The next morning I got in the phone book and found a Chevy dealer that had their shop open on Saturday. I called and he said bring it in. On the way over the A/C worked perfectly! I told the service rep all this and he said it would be hard to track down but they would do it. When I went back that afternoon to get the truck he said they couldn't find the problem, "there are no computer codes to tell us what is wrong". Without a code they don't have a clue about trouble shooting. There is a small A/C relay on the fuse board under the hood, right next to the A/C fuse. I have seen relays go intermittent before, so I said "why not just go ahead and replace the relay?" He said warranty wouldn't cover it "since there are no codes". I asked what it costs and he said $75. I thought that was outrageous, but I bit the bullet and had it replaced on my own. It's worked perfectly ever since and I've probably put 10,000 or more miles on it since then. Are there no mechanics left?

Cheers, Roy

Reply to
Roy Boyden

If you still have your receipt, call the 800 number for Chevy Customer Support. It should be in your owners manual or your Chevy dealer should give it to you. Explain your situation and they will probably tell you to send in your receipt and they will reimburse you. I had the same kind of problem with Cruise Control and they shelled out over $200.

Good luck, Karl

Reply to
Silverado

relays are $1.18 each in lots of 200 or more,, or $1.49 each individually $4.99 if you need it packaged

Reply to
I'm Right

Metripak pinned relays are about $5 each in single quantites from the distributers, so not $1 but not $75 either.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

It was a total rip-off. The main point, however, is that they can't turn a tap without a computer code. I wonder if they could fix a flat tire without a code. Ha! Cheers, Roy

Reply to
Roy Boyden