5.3L and newer trucks

I am in need of a new truck and have always liked the 350. The newer trucks I have been looking at all have the 5.3L in them. Is there any issues with the 5.3L (other than piston slap) that I need to really look at when looking at the newer trucks. Anything else to really look for in the newer trucks, I'm looking at 4x4s. Thanks DeeRHunteR

Reply to
DeeRHunteR

From all that I've heard, the 5.3 is a better engine than the older 350. More powerfull, better fuel economy, etc.

I don't think the piston slap issue is as big as it seems. I have yet to notice a late model GM truck with the noise...

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

My 5.3L in my 2004 Sierra Z71 is much faster, smoother, and more fuel efficient than the 350-4 in my '78 Silverado. It's a great truck.

From all that I've heard, the 5.3 is a better engine than the older 350. More powerfull, better fuel economy, etc.

I don't think the piston slap issue is as big as it seems. I have yet to notice a late model GM truck with the noise...

-marc

Reply to
Ann Meffert

Fuel injection, and 290k or so less miles is a big help....

On the other hand, NASCAR wouldn't touch an injector, can't flow enough fuel...

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

The lack of fuel injection in NASCAR I'd say has a hell of alot more to do with the rules than performance. just take a look at the NHRA/IHRA.... tons of fuel injection setups... hell I don't believe anyone running nitro sends it through a carb.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Now, it's not like it's coming from the pit crew's mouth but here it is. I remember watching a show on NASCAR where an engine builder said they use carbs because there aren't any injectors that flow enough fuel for them.

Personally, while I am knowledgeable and competant with computers in general, I HATE computers in cars... some of THE DUMBEST things... Why can't I install SlackWare in my 88 S10? (For those who care to comment, don't, I know *nixes have made there way into cars.)

-The Lonely Grease Monkey

1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor

"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

John Lingenfelter (RIP) regularly built injected small block chevies with in excess of 1000HP....an injector of any flow rating can be built if one is needed.

computer controlled engines are great, IMHO as long as they're kept simple and reliable... I'd take a TBI 350 any day over one with a quadrabucket on it. I've never had my TBI 350 *not* start because of the weather, I definately can't say the same for any of the carb'd vehicles I've driven.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I float back and forth between this, and loving the computers.

For a long while, I hated everything new, because you couldn't fix it with a couple of common tools.

Now I learned how easy it is to log data, and use that to tune fuel, timing curves, and shift points by throttle position, load, temp, speed, etc.

No more jets, fuel heights, or adjustable vacuum advances.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind