6.2L diesel glow plug wire

I am referring to a wire that is at the back top of the engine to the left of the glow plug controller that plus into a metal male connector via a plastic female connector. For some reason when I get in my truck in the mornings to start it, the glow plug light doesn't come on. I remove the air cleaner system to access that wire and wiggle it around a bit and then the light comes on. It seems to be on there tightly so I do not know why it is doing this. It seems to do it more when it is really cold out too. Anyone have any ideas or anything here to help me please? Thanks.

Reply to
Mark G.

:-) unfortunately not a very helpful description. There are close to a dozen wires that fit that description that are part of the glow plug system but I will assume the ones are part of the control relay. It does sound like the wire is broken internally. When you jiggle it, it makes contact sending power to close the relay. It should get worse when cold because most metals contract when cold, opening the gap in the broken wire. If the wire is short (in length) just replace it with a new wire of the same diameter. If it is the control wires (I beleave black and pink in color) they send power to close the relay but be be careful to use the same plastic connector with the new wire there is a resister between the two wires that gives a little power flow at all times. This is required by the glow plug controller (magnesium tube looking thing sticking out of the top back of the drivers side head. If it is one of the large diameter wires (supply power to the relay and power to the glow plugs) then also replace these just be careful one of these is hot all the time. You may also want to pull the black connector off (depress tab and pull up) and make sure the contacts are clean.

good luck, mark

Reply to
rock_doctor