6.5 diesel

Why is there so many 6.5 diesel trucks for sale with blown engines ??? I am in the market for a diesel truck to pull our trailer. I won't own anything but a GMC or Chevy, but about half of the ones I see for sale are listed with a blown engine. Could it just be the injector pumps and they think the engine is blown or do they have a problem ?

Reply to
69SScamaro

True the injector pumps (and specifically the fuel solenoid driver) are problems with these motors and there are fixes that improve the reliability of these parts drastically. However, another known issue was also burn-through of the head gaskets on the rear-most cylinders on pre-98 trucks, especially when used for lots of hauling or heavy towing. This issue was also fixed in the later (98+) trucks with a higher flow water pump with dual thermostats and crossover. This improved coolant flow and heat transfer, preventing the burn-through problem.

When asking about these trucks with "blown motors" you have to be able to discern between the fuel injection pump issue and the head gasket issue.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Nice answer! Kodo's