78 Chevy 4x4 still bucking at 33-35 mph, help?

Hey all,

I've been posting off and on here whenever i get pissed off enough about my truck to see if anyone can help. It's a 78 1/2 ton 4x4. At one precise speed, approximately 33-35 mph, the thing starts to buck up and down. It's not a side to side motion, it's honestly what you would call a 'gallop'. It's been doing this for over a year and i've done everything i can think of to stop it. the transmission was rebuilt about a year ago, had no effect, the axles have been swapped with new gears put in, new calipers, pads, rotors turned, i've had 2 sets of wheels and 3 sets of tires all mixed and matched on there at some point in time with no effect at all. I had one end of the driveshaft replaced cause it was showing a little wear. I have no damn clue what is causing this vibration. I have asked every gearhead and mechanic i know and no one has any ideas beyond a tire being out of round or rotors needing to be turned (which i have already tried). Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

assuming it is an automatic, i am wondering if it is trying to shift gears. i have a little 4 cyl s10 and if i get in the right speed/load it will start to buck as it trys to shift up and down. i see this on the tach and a little gas takes it over the edge and it stops. also, maybe a u-joint...

Reply to
hardworking

Reply to
Shep

I tried that, still vibrating, so i ruled out the rear shaft. I've put the rear axle on jack stands and you can still feel a vague vibration, not near as bad as driving it though.

Thanks TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

Would it do it accelerating and braking? The gallop happens during both

thanks TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

Reply to
Shep

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Reply to
Trailblazer

My old '78 blazer had similar issues, but the gallop was at higher speeds ~50mpg. (6" lift with 35" tires) Mine turned out to be the mechanical fan and/or clutch assembly. I removed the fan, went with elecrtic and the gallop went away. It's a long shot but I am sure you're willing to try anything at this point.

HTH,

Derek

Reply to
genius

Reply to
<reis4

Well that pretty much eliminates the drive train. How about suspension?

coldfire

Reply to
Mud

suspension's factory rear leafs with 2 in. blocks, and replacement front springs for 2 inches of lift all around. It has the dual shocks on the front end, i replaced 2 of them a year or so ago, the other fronts seemed ok, and i replaced the rear shocks about 2 months ago. All the bushings are polyurethane and we greased them well before putting the lift on, which has been on there about 2 1/2 years.

Thanks TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

I don't think the rear line is bad, but would it cause that vibration at one speed? I also forgot to mention that for about 6 months the brakes seemed awful, like they wouldn't stop the truck hardly. Come to find out, the booster was bad. But what seemed odd was that during the booster not working, the gallop seemed to not bee there. I don't know if it actually stopped or if i was just holding my breath hoping i would be able to stop and wasn't paying attention for the gallop.

Thanks! TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

you might want to try looking at a misfire in the engine.I would start at the egr valve-these usually give problems in high gear under light load-try disconnecting vacuum line.

good luck

Reply to
peter benjamin via CarKB.com

My 84 K5 Blazer did the same thing as yours. I though it was the calipers and asked a friend, he said it may be but might also be the brake lines. I replaced my front calipers and then the lines. The bucking went away with the replacement. My bucking would have shaken your teeth out of your head dentures or not.

Reply to
Lew Pratt