1998 Suburban

Just bought a 1998 GMC Suburban with 86k miles. Good shape but am wondering if I need to do any preventive maintenance on this vehicle. I would rather have it in the shop at the time of my choosing rather than out on the highway with a toeing charge plus repair and a screwed up vacation. Maybe I am being paranoid. Ive seen all the old GM repair records on this VIN and see nothing major, granted this does not show any non-oem repairs.

Several things come to mind....water pump, fuel pump, alternator...engine, transmission. :)

just wondering what others have had go out.

Reply to
hardworking

Per hardworking:

I don't think you are paranoid. I'm coming up on 130k on my 98 (bought new...first and alst car I'll ever buy new...) and have discovered a few design-related failure points.

Trans: If it has the 4L60 trans and the valve body hasn't been re-sleeved (GM doesn't do this, they just replace it) I'd expect failure about every 30k miles.

Wiper Board: If your wipers get weird, I'd replace the board rather than fixing it. I fixed mine twice, but it didn't stay fixed. I think it's something about the basic structure of the original board and vibration.

Intake Manifold: Mine failed at about 80k. Shop said they're known for that.

Water Pump: I did a premptive replacement when the intake manifold went.

Fuel Pump: I did a premtive replacement at about 100k. No particular reason - just figured it couldn't last forever....

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

I have the 4x4 with the 350 engine. how do I tell if I have the 4l60 transmission. I would guess it is not because I do not see this on the GM extended warrantee tickets...

Reply to
hardworking

Pete,

thanks for the info...

All vehicles, and for that matter, everything has design related failure points. Does your seatbelt warning lite work? Mine stays on for 55 seconds and then goes out per manual as though the belt is not fastened. Ive checked the belt latch switch and this bugs open for belt in and closed for belt out. Since open is belt buckled, I suspect some module is out but dont know where.

How do I know if the automatic rearview mirror is working. The green led to the right of the temp switch does not glow and I am wondering if the thing is broken?

The vehicle came with new tires that have 44 psi max inflation spec, Ive been running at 36 and am wondering if I could push up to 40psi for better gas mileage. For now, I am seeing 16.5 mpg on the freeway. Is this normal. I didnt buy for gas mileage, but any hints would be appreciated

Reply to
hardworking

Per hardworking:

Probably not because one of the first things I did after purchasing the vehicle was crawl under the dashboard, find the module responsible for the audible alert and disconnect it and I'm guessing the same module controls the lite.

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

I would have the transmission fluid and filter changed. old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman