87 3/4 Ton Steering Slop

I have an 87 3/4 ton 4x4 Silverado with power steering. I have to turn the steering wheel about 1/4 of a complete revolution before the wheels are affected. The steering gearbox must have an adjustment but, there is little to no useful information in my Haynes manual.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Jake292

P.S. It has new tie rod ends and steering damper. Also, new upper and lower ball joints.

Jake292 wrote:

Reply to
Jake292

Reply to
Shep

you'll also want to look at the steering coupler (rag joint).. after

20 years it could be worn to the point of hitting the safety stops to turn the steering box. that's what happening on my '88, but I've just not gotten around to pulling the shaft and replacing the rubber disc.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Reply to
jake292

Allen-wrench... and be EXTRA careful not to go too far. Did you check the drag link ends? Did you have it professionally aligned after the ball joint and tie rod end replacement?

Reply to
Shades

If none of the steering items are worn, I would replace the gear box. A good used one from a salvage yard should not cost more then $50 at most. You can get a good rebuilt unit from Lee Manufactoring. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I've always known that older chevys have a lot of play anyways. just thought it was natural

Reply to
Adam F.

I have not had an alignment yet. When I replaced the tie rod ends, I carefully measured and matched the distance from the center of the insertion bolt to the tie rod itself. I was very accurate but still wanted to eventually have a pro alignment. Would that effect steering slop? Don't laugh but, what is a drag link?

Shades wrote:

Reply to
Jake292

A drag link is the HD tie rod looking thing going from the pitman arm on the bottom of the steering box to the steering arm attached to the left steering knuckle.

...and yes, too much toe-in would feel like steering slop and too much toe-out would make the truck wander.

Reply to
Shades

An alignment is a good idea. They will find and report problems that affect the steering and those problems need repairs BEFORE the wheels can be aligned. This can be money well spent. Saving the money can prove often to be false economy.

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Reply to
hipcheck