89 chevy van 3/4 ton code 44

I have replaced the fuel filter, cat. converter & muffler and the O2 sensor, but the van still runs bad and smells like it is running rich? and backfiring too like its running out of gas. any ideas?

Reply to
David

Try this:

Scott M

Been there, done that. Try checking the fuel injectors (it is TBI isn't it?). One of mine died and set a code 44.

Reply to
Rich B

Code 44 is 02 lean, meaning not enough gas in the mixture. Likely a plugged or KIA fuel injector.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

How do you manually clean an injector?

CJ

Reply to
CJBrown

If it's just gummed up a few bottles of Chevron Techron in the gas tank might clear it up. If it's really fubar it'll need to be replaced.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I didn't know if there was a way to remove it and use throttle body cleaner to do it or not.

CJ

Reply to
CJBrown

You could spray em' down real good with TB cleaner but that's not going to get the insides like a fuel additive will.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"