87 Chevy 350 EFI engine rebuild/swap

I have a short bed 4x4 87 chevy with a EFI stock 350. The engine has around 200K Miles on it. I have recently installed a 4" suspension lift and added 33" tires. The motor needs valve seals and several other tune ups. Question is should I pull the motor and have it rebuilt/beefed up or just buy a package motor from some parts house to increase horse power.

In doing this several other questions come to mind. The tranny is a stock 4speed w/ overdrive. Not to sure on the gear ratio. I'm pretty sure it has a Spicer rear end? When I had 35" tires on it there seemed to be trouble with constantly down shifting and hardly any acceleration power.

If I beef up the engine will the ECM (computer) have to reprogramed to accomidate for the changes and where/how do I get this taken care of? Transmition/rearend changes needed to be made?

Basically I want to build it up to be a moderate mussle truck and I am not satisfied with the current engine.

Thanx,

-Daniel

Reply to
DanD

calhoun

Reply to
calhoun

Well first off, what's the $$$ you plan on spending? Second, muscle truck is pretty vague...what do you want to do with it?

Reply to
Shades
33's you should go w/ 4.10 min 35's 4.56/4.88 better You can actually increase gas mileage if you gear a truck right with bigger tires. The engine will turn at the same speed, the same amount of strain on the tranny, but since the tires are bigger each revolution pushes the truck further (so the engine will actually be shorter). Not massive but a mile or two more per gallon, so even if you do it almost right, you shouldn't *lose* anything. I would take your engine out and put it off too the side. You *know* it runs, even if not well. Get another *stock* engine, (not crate) and have a reputable shop build it, or go at it yourself.... *IF* it blows up (even crates do!) you know you have a running engine to transplant while it's fixed.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

So what about the fuel system? Stick with the injection, or go to a carb? Th main reason I am asking this, is I have a short in the wiring harness some where and I am in the process of hunting it down. I have been planning the Engine change for sometime now. I have damn near every sensor under the hood unplugged and the fuel pump in the back! So I was thinking, New harness, hell new motor time!

Reply to
DanD

EFI is nice.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Dan, you are very limited with the EFI setup. It really all depends on how much power you want, speed costs money...how fast u wanna go? Here is a link to some very popular dyno tested mouse motor combos.........

here is a link to Project Scottsdale.......
3.07's have been replaced with 3.73's since i created the page

Reply to
Mad Dog