89 5.7 and roller cam/rockers

Hi All.

Anyone change thier flat tappets to a roller cam? Was wondering what the push rods had to be changed to.

I'm thinking about changing my cam (block # 880) to a Crower roller cam, and roller tip rocker arms. (Lifter # 66330, Arm # 73603) Arm is 1.6 ratio...

Thanks for any info...

HDS

Reply to
HDS

Regarding " From: snipped-for-privacy@none.com (HDS) Hi All. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Anyone change thier flat tappets to a roller cam? Was wondering what the push rods had to be changed to. I'm thinking about changing my cam (block # 880) to a Crower roller cam, and roller tip rocker arms. (Lifter # 66330, Arm # 73603) Arm is 1.6 ratio... Thanks for any info... HDS"

--------------------------------------------------------------- Why would you be doing this? Is the current cam worn out? Also I hear a lot of mention of "roller tip" rocker arms.One ad claims you will have more power,lower oil temperature (!),less friction etc. apparently because you will be curing that nasty friction at the rockers. Last year I took the valve covers off my wifes V-8 that had 210,000 hard miles over a 29 year life and the rockers had minimal wear,and I don't remember a complaint about high oil temp.I guess on a race engine that lives at 6000 + RPM there would be some slight advantage,But on a street driven truck?? I think your $400 could be better spent.

Brian O in So.Cal. Scotty! Full power to the heat shields !!!

Reply to
Brian Orion

---------

It's a new motor. Roller tips and a roller cam are just better then stamped, flat tappets.

HDS

Reply to
HDS

You forgot to mention the higher spring forces on the rockers from the new spring set for the cam. higher lift/faster rate must haver higher K springs, and inner oscilliation damping springs.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle