92 SLE suburban with 230k for 2500? Is this risky?

Hello, I am looking at a 92 SLE that looks and runs good but am scared of the mileage. I need this for towing my trailor with lawn equipment. My nissan v6 will pull it but its hurting. Is this a good price or something that might be a big money pit. Wanted to ask you folks who own own one what to expect and do you think it might last to say 275k when I can afford something newer. Never bught a vehicle with that kind of miles before. Is this a good price or too much?

Thanks Danny

Reply to
Dad-x-2

What is the price?

Reply to
Trail Shredder

$2500...

Trail Shredder wrote:

Reply to
Aaron Taylor

I would have to say a tired GM engine is 250K in general, though I haven't been alive long enough to drive one that many miles. If the tranny is original, the 4L60E is far past it's usual over haul date. These are generally considered troublesome transmissions straight from the factory. They can be rebuilt very well (far better then OEM) from a shop that knows what they are doing. The tranny will HAVE to have an INDEPENDENT transmission cooler installed to keep it healthy. I would have to guess that our local trans guru would run about 1.4-1.6K for a complete overhaul, R&R, with cooler and probably even a gauge.

Now that that's outta da way. If you want something to tow keep on looking. If you want something to look pimp in then pick it up, but expect a new tranny and engine to need to go into it some time in the future. 300K+ engines in Chevy's aren't common but have been seen. I'd really be surprised if the tranny was original however. I'd look for a nice 1500 or 2500 Silverado & or sierra. Either that or get him way down on the price - 1K for instance, to cover for the transmission that you will have to put in.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ