93 Jimmy fuel injection problem

Hi, I just got another suv, my 4th chevy!! This one is a 93 Jimmy SLT. It has the 4.3 Vortec cpi (central port injection). It was running real bad, but the engine sounded mechanically ok, so I bought it. I changed plugs, cap, rotor, wires and it sounds better but still missing. It was blowing blue/black smoke real bad at first and smelled strongly of gas. It runs better but still is getting too much gas. My mechanic said it sounds like the CPI unit, and he says they run about $600. Does this sound kosher? for what I paid for it, another $600 aint bad if it runs as good as I think it will. Let me know what you guys think. jb

Reply to
sunnymtn2

Go to

its a great forum just for s10 an s15`s.Ask in the right section there before you spend 600$!!It seems like some one had the same problem recently.

Reply to
Dafey

First a new computer for it at Advaned auto is around 100 bucks, not

600 and they are easy to change. Does it run better cold than hot?

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

well to see if it is the cpi or nut kit leaking. take off the vortec cover on top of the engine. Underneath it is a hockey puck looking thing. Use a torx to remove it. Take a bright flashlight and look into that sucker if it looks shiny on one side and dirty on another, it's your cpi or nut kit.

Example of mine when it was bad

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Reply to
vwtopdown