95 Chevy G20 Van - heater core replacement

Noticed antifreexe on the passenger side floor mat. Bypassed heater, but it's starting to get cool here in Maine.

Got some responces saying I have to remove entire dash - van does not have A.C. Got pointer to a site that used a sawzall and a Chevette core - kinda ugly.... but seems to work.

Any other ideas or pointers? If I remove the dash, can I keep the van on the road - temporarily - maybe a week, and it's a working van - looks like I might have to spend a couple of days at it..... Can I remove the dash without popping the doghouse? Anyone got an online source to a step-by-step for dash removal. I looked at a Chiltons - not much help there....

Thanks for any help or ideas......

Reply to
rgreene

Shep

Sell it to someone else...

Seriously it is a pain BUT not all that hard to do. As to keeping it on the road that is easy. Go under the hood and find the two lines that go to the heater core. Cut them and install a piece of tubing so you bypass the heater core. You will be replacing the hoses anyway when you put the new core in. As for the core, The doghouse has to come off first, then the steering column gets loosened up. Remove the bolts holding the dash assembly in. GENTLY push up on the dash until you have enough room to work. You will need to remove the floor duct the two control cables. There is a screw securing the defroster duct as well. The core case has three nuts on the engine side and a screw on the passenger side. A coupls screws and the hoses and you have the core out. Reverse the process to install the new core.

Have done this once on my 95 conversion. Took about 4 hours total.

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.