2000 Astro van heater problem

My heater heats and the ac cools but the dampers don't work. I get air out the floor outlets and the defrost outlets together but never out the dash vents. Switching to different output positions on the heater switch doesn't seem to have any affect.

Anyone got a clue?

jim

Reply to
jim

My 2002 did the same thing this year. The air valves are mostly vacuum powered. If none of them work, like mine, then it is likely the vacuum supply line is leaking. I runs from the driver's side of the engine, across the top (mine was pinched at a angle where it passed under some other hoses), and proceeds to a vacuum manifold (a little thing) to the curb side of center, accessible with the hood raised. Unfortunately, to replace it, I had to remove the engine cover inside to get at the intake manifold end of the hose. I just used standard rubber vacuum hose from the parts store, rather than getting a replacement for the plastic hose with rubber fittings that was installed at the factory. Hopefully it will last at least a few years in the heat.

Reply to
Ned Forrester

I just fixed the same problem on my 2000 Astro van.

There is a plastic vacuum line that runs across the top of the engine, toward the front. This line terminates at a small manifold on the passenger side before going through the firewall behind the dash.

I was able to 'splice' this plastic line, which had broken right behind the alternator, with a small piece of rubber vacuum line that was laying around.

I did not even need to remove the doghouse for this repair. It was all reachable under the hood.

Reply to
TomO