95 K2500 Suburban Front Diff Leaking

I have a 95 K2500 Suburban 4WD, the front diff is leaking. It appears that the differential comes apart at the middle, with a gasket in between. How hard is it to replace this gasket? Is it an easy DIY, or should I take it to my mechanic? Any info and advice is appreciated.

Reply to
Jim Pace

"Jim Pace" wrote

First of all, you need to determine where it's leaking. It's very rare for the diff to leak at the parting line of the case. Usually, the leaks are at the axle seals, vent which is located on the drivers side of the axle, and sometimes the pinion seal. There are no gaskets for this unit, it uses anaerobic sealer. If you haven't worked on these diffs before, I would have to say that I couldn't recommend it as an "easy DIY'er job". But having said that, if you decide to take the plunge, I can probably make it a fairly painless job if you need the advice.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I've been told by more than one person, that all of the IFS axles leak and the time and effort to repair the seals simply isn't worth it. my seals leak on both sides.... never enough to leave a drip on the driveway, and I just pull the fill plug come oil change time.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

"Bret Chase" wrote

On the older models that's true. But there are still plenty of people that want to have their leaks fixed. Plus, it's always a good idea to make sure that it's not the vent on the drivers side leaking. That leak can cost you a front diff.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thanks for the info, Ian. I do think the leak may be where the driveline enters the diff (is this called the pinion seal?), and the fluid may be hitting the u-joint and flipping all over the diff. I'll check the vent for signs of leakage as well. I don't think the axles are leaking, because the axles themselves are dry with no signs of leakage. Thanks again.

Reply to
Jim Pace