98 jimmy anti-freeze question

Hello all,

At my next oil change I would like to flush radiator and change coolant. ( have 60k on car ) . I have read that the Dex-cool -orange colored fluid is not all its cracked up to be and should be replaced with the standard green fluid. Also it was suggested that I have someone with a flushing machine clean the entire system before changing the fluid. Any truth to this tale? And if so should I also change the hoses at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

Dave-

Reply to
Xanth

EATS Gaskets Was an article on Cable TV about that sometime in August of this YEAR .. Government is trying to Get GM to PAY for ALL Head Gaskets that it ATE THRU.. And The LABOR... So Save ur Reciepts if you already PAID for a HEAD JOB

Get it OUT of your Vehicle I Think Gm Said it is safe for 3 years only, Goverment is Saying it Is NO GOOD AT ALL !!!

AND NEVER Flush an old Vehicle, Especially if they use Chemicals..

Those Radiator Flush Stuff EATS SOFT PLUGS .. and the one it eats is usually one of the softplugs that are BEHIND the FLYWHEEL !!!

Waste of Money

My 89 4.3 S-10 193,000 miles Same Antifreeze that was in it when i Bought the Truck NEW

90 LLUMINA Same thing ... I bought it new also

Reply to
Santa

Dex-Cool is GARBAGE! Get it out of your vehicle. The stuff is one of the biggest money makers General Motors ever thought up

Reply to
zonie

Hi Dave I also have a 1998 Blazer LT 4x4 / 4.3 / 75k....bought used in 2002 with 50k (Dex-Cool at the Time), in the first month after buying the Blazer I had the Intake Gasket leak and while it was getting repaired my Radiator had allot of Clumped-up sand through out the rad and my heating system...After it was all fixed and everything Flushed and cleaned out...My truck has never seen Dex-cool and have never had any trouble since using the good 'ol Green antifreeze...Do like "Santa" and "zonie" said Get that Dex-cool out it is garbage....Do a "Google" search about blazers(other cars/trucks) and dex-cool allot of unhappy people who have had nothing but trouble with this Crap Good Luck Bud Let us know how you make out and as well Happy New Year

Reply to
Iron

You refresh my mind..

The TV program Said to take off the Radiator Cap ( Engine Cold) Turn the Cap over, If it looks Sandy or clumpy, You are in Trouble,,, Expect A large Repair bill, you will end up Changing all the Gasket that are used for Stopping Water Leaks..

Keep Documentation on your Repairs ,, Because you WILL BE REIMBURSED as soon as the Goverment issues the order !!!

It is like The Secret Lifetime Warrentee on all PRE 1980's

350/327/283/307 Camshafts... Gm would Replace them for FREE, All you had to pay for was a New Timing Chain and Gears.. U could even Bring in your own Aftermarket Chain and Gear and Your Job would cost you NOTHING !!!

Gm Has Lots of SECRETS.. Cavalier Seat Belt Button ( Replaced Free) Since the Belt Fails to Retract and You slam it in The Door and Breaks The Plastic.. if You go to Buy that Button, They will charge you $21.00 for it..

and my heating system...After it was all fixed and

Reply to
Santa

I wouldn't believe everything that you see on TV.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ivan. Do you work For General Motors ??

Reply to
Santa

Yes, I've worked as a licensed automotive technician for about 24 years, almost all those years have been in GM dealerships, with a 4 year stint at a Chrysler dealership. I currently work at a Chev/Olds/Cadillac dealership.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai