Re: A4 Anti-freeze

i hope u saw the news on TV about the dex cool crap in GM trucks and cars...

i got a shock when they compared normal coolant to dexcool's metal eat> I have an '02 Passat 1.8T, great car. The manual calls for G12

anti-freeze. Is this the same as Dex-Cool that is sold in car part > stores ? That is what a service station told me. > > Steve
Reply to
dnotes

If not Dex-Cool then what do I need to buy ? Is the VW dealer the only one to sell and use the G12 ?????

Reply to
Steven Gee

You can buy G12 from VW dealers only. Dex Cool will destroy your cooling system.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Oddly enough... my friend took her 96 golf in to some crappy tire shop and the convinced her she needed a radiator flush... when she told me about it I asked what coolant they used... she called back and they told her dex cool cause that is what their computer told them to use... well I freaked out and jumped on her case about letting them do that to her car in the first place, especially since it says right at the filler cap to only use VW fluid, and then i got them to refund the money and get her some real VW coolant... we then took the car to the dealer and were going to have them change the fluid... the dealer tested the fluid and said that the right stuff was in there... but what was in there was dex cool... I still wouldn't want Dex-Cool in my VW... even though the dealer said it's the same stuff...

I do have a Dex Cool equivalent in my GMC pickup... we'll see how that goes I guess...

Reply to
VWGirl