98 Silverado sterring cover removal

Hi ,

Hoping I can get some help here. I have a 98 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton P/U. It suffers from the wonderful "dead multifunction switch" problem. I want to go in and get the hazard switch off the steering column, but I'm having problems removing the top cover. The bottom cover came off no problem. I found the torx screww that screws in from the bottom on the driver side of the column into the top but I still can't get the cover off. What other fasteners am I missing here?

Haynes and Chiltons are no help at all and a google search didn't show up anything other than what I've already done. The truck has tilt steering and cruise control but the top cover clears all the linkage for that so that's not an issue. If anyone can shed some light on what I'm missing I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Reply to
Bonasa

"Bonasa" wrote

Maybe check a little closer, I believe there are "two" screws that hold the top cover on.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks for the help Ian. I was having a brain fart. Needed to remove the dash front piece to pull up the top cover. Still couldn't figure out how to get it off from around the ignition switch.

I'm throwing in the towel and running it into the dealer's tomorrow for R&R of the multifunction switch. I'm so frustrated I couldn't figure it out but the possibilty of truly screwing something up and having a higher repair bill has me in surrender mode. $525.00 plus tax for parts and labor. Ouch.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike

Reply to
Bonasa

That multifunction switch is LESS Than $200 , about $185 from my shop. The R&R takes about 15 minutes.

You have 2 reverse torx screws that are holding the top section on. A 5.5 mm six point socket will work on them. Or buy a socket for the reverse torx.

: > "Bonasa" wrote : >

: > > Hoping I can get some help here. I have a 98 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton : P/U. : > It : > > suffers from the wonderful "dead multifunction switch" problem. I want : to : > go : > > in and get the hazard switch off the steering column, but I'm having : > > problems removing the top cover. The bottom cover came off no problem. I : > > found the torx screww that screws in from the bottom on the driver side : of : > > the column into the top but I still can't get the cover off. What other : > > fasteners am I missing here? : >

: > Maybe check a little closer, I believe there are "two" screws : > that hold the top cover on. : >

: > Ian : >

: >

: :

Reply to